With the arrival of the new Battlefront plastic Panther Gs, I set to a weekly project of painting up 10 for my Brigade Panther force. This also offered the opportunity to try out the ambush camouflage stencils sold by Anarchy models.
Let’s take a look at cracking out ‘Ambush Disc’ camo in quick time.
I base coat the model with a grey primer. In the UK I get mine from Wilkinsons at the low price of £5 per can.
I chose to use the Ammo by Mig 1939-1944 German Standard Colour set for my three colour camo. I love Mig paints, they go through an airbrush with no need to thin. I spray the model with Red Brown Shadow. I deliberately don’t worry about the tracks.
Here we get started with our stencils. I place the stencils at any area I want to remain brown. Make sure you push the stencils down firmly and use a cocktail stick to get them to bend around raised areas. In this picture it is easy to see the stencil as they are yellow from where I did a test model.
The model is then sprayed with Olivgrun Opt2 in the same way as the brown at step 2. Make sure to leave the stencils in place.
A repeat of step 3, however this time where I add the extra stencils will remain green. I then spray the model with Dunklegelb (early). This time I make sure the tracks are covered as well.
Here is the result after peeling off the stencils.
I cover the whole model in a liberal application of Ammo Acrylic Filter – Tan. This adds some depth and contrast to the camo and added decals.
I now use a pin wash to blackline the model. For this I find Citiadel Contrast Paint – Basilicanum Grey works well. I place it in any indent, around panels, and around raised areas to make the detail stand out.
Next I apply a Mig Filter – Tan for 3 tone camo. This helps to tie the camo together and slightly alters the tone of the yellow, which is a bit bright at the moment.
I pick out the tools with with Vallejo German Grey and Flat Brown. I also apply the same green and brown as the hull to some of the wheels. Across the 10 tanks I painted, I used this is show which platoons each belonged to.
The tracks, exhausts and spare track links had Citadel Contrast – Gore Grunta Fur applied to it. I also picked out some of the metals with Leadbelcher.
Vallejo Track Primer is applied as a heavy dry brush over the track and track links. The wheel rims were planted with German Grey.
For finishing touches I added some more track links and a spare wheel. The exhaust has Orange Brown layered on and when dry a Light Rust Wash applied. I also did some weathering by sponging on German Grey as a chipping technique and using a Light Rust wash to draw some vertical streaks out of heavily chipped areas. Finally I used the same Dunkelgelb as the main model to apply dots to the green and brown camo to create that iconic ambush camo.
I hope that proves useful for your own German vehicles. I will be using the same technique with my King Tigers and Jagdtigers when they arrive, so stay tuned!