Well this is the first post proper for my new project, and I’ve started
by focusing on the stars of the show the Cromwells and Challengers.
tanks do look very cool IMHO. There is something about their silhouette
and speed which just wins out to me over the Sherman (even with jumbos
etc available). On the other hand the Cromwell just seems strange with
it’s giant boxy turret.
I tried one completely new thing when
painting these guys, and that was dipping. Having prepared the models, I
base coated them with the PSC ‘British armour’ spray – it’s not quite
Russian uniform but very close and a lot nicer green than the army
painter ‘army green’ spray I used for my Canadians – once again please
would they do dropper bottles of a matching colour!
this base, I did quite harsh dry rushing of Russian uniform, then a 1:1
mix of Russian uniform and khaki, before finally pure khaki. I then
picked out the details, hessian strips were green brown with a bit of
buff for highlights, wood was purposely very light with US tan, and
metal with GW mecharious Grey, with white for highlights, and cables etc
were green grey with added buff for highlights.
Next I added all the decals etc to show regiment and role, as well as some allied stars.
done this I got hold of some cheap brushes from Wilko’s and applied
some of the army painter ‘dark tone’. I’d had a bit of a chat in my FLGS
about these, you need good ventilation as the fumes are vile, you need
to also mix very well. I looked at some examples of the dark vs strong
tone, and think that for dark green vehicles the dark is needed with the
strong too pale, but for say German yellow vehicles the strong would
suit them better. Strangely the one real thing I liked about these
especially compared to a wash, was that when I realised I’d missed a bit
or two and retouched the model, it went on more even than using a wash
which I really liked.
However you don’t finish there, as when the
quick shade has dried the model looks atrocious! They come out so
shiny, that they would even dazzle Patrick Stuart’s head! Thankfully I
also had some testors Dullcoat which really sorted that out. I ran out
with my last platoon – and used the paint on army painter Matt varnish –
and had a great result, but didn’t apply as well in nooks and crannys
I’m very pleased with the finished result, and i’m really looking forward to trying them out.
Anyway until next time